CCR Staff: Christine Shields, Associate Scientist
As the Community Climate System Model (CCSM) deep time paleoclimate liaison, I am involved with modelling the Earth's climate for time periods dating millions of years into the past. Ongoing research collaborations include studies from the Late Ordovician (445Ma, i.e. millions of years ago), the Permian/Triassic Boundary (250Ma), the Middle Cretaceous (100Ma), the Cretaceous/Triassic Boundary (65Ma), and the Paleo-Eocene Thermal Maximum (55Ma).
My focus as the deep time paleoclimate liaison is to foster collaborations aimed at providing better interaction between the university paleo-geography community and climate modellers. I often provide guidance on how to run and modify the CCSM for paleoclimate work.
I work with Jeff Kiehl, also in the Climate Change Research Section (CCR), for these paleoclimate efforts as well as assisting Dr. Kiehl with studying climate feedback processes for the Earth's climate system.
Paleo CCSM Documentation
Selected Posters & Presentations
- NAO in the PaleoCSM (poster)
- CCSM2.0.1: Setup and Output Diagnostics for Past Geographies (poster) (please contact for information)
- Climate Change Prediction Program: Inter-model climate Sensitivity (poster)
- CCSM3 Model Setup and Runtime Issues for a Permian (250Ma) Simulation (presentation) (please contact for information)
- Permian Monsoon (poster)
- NPO: Permian Modes of Variability (presentation) (please contact for information)
- NPO: Permian Modes of Variability (poster)
- Simulating the Late Ordovician (445Ma) with the Fully Coupled Community Climate System Model (CCSM3) (poster/presentation)
- CESM1 for Deep Time Paleoclimate (poster/presentation) (please contact for information)
- Aerosols for Deep Time CCSM4 Paleoclimate: A Permian/Triassic Test Case (presentation) (please contact for information)
- 75% NSF division of Earth Sciences NSF,EAR-0720307;
- 25% Office of Science, (BER), US Department of Energy, grant number, DE-FC02-97ER62402