Permanent Residency - Green Card
Visas are temporary
- H status up to six years and J1 Research Scholar up to five years maximum.
Next step to continue employment is Permanent Residency
- Something to consider when hiring a foreign national.
- A green card application may not always be successful.
- If lab/program supports the process, employee must use UCAR’s immigration firm, Stern & Curray LLC (S&C).
- If I-140 or Labor Certification is required, S&C also must be used (I-140 is filed by the employer, by law the employer must pay for the Labor Cert).
- If self-petitioning a National Interest Waiver or Extraordinary Ability petition, does not need to use S&C.
- If employee leaves UCAR within 1 year of the start of the process, they must reimburse the fees unless management waives.
- UCAR may support applications based on marriage.
- Lab/Program responsible for costs & decides if financial support is available on a case-by-case basis (does not have to be full amount).
- Administrator confirms their support and Immigration Specialist prepares memo and authorization form.
- Employee then contacts S&C.
- The process generally takes 1-5 years.
- The applicant must keep work authorization throughout the process.
- Cost ranges from $10,000 - $13,000.
- HR has kept policy flexible to allow for differences in labs/programs, funding, etc.
- More information on our policy: http://www.fin.ucar.edu/hr/foreignvisitors/visatypes.html#gc