CESM Land Model Diagnostics Package
Revised: March 2021
NOTE: THE CLM DIAGNOSTICS PACKAGE DESCRIBED BELOW HAS BEEN INCORPORATED INTO THE CESM POSTPROCESSING TOOL AND IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONAL. PLEASE SEE THE CESM POSTPROCESSING GITHUB REPOSITORY.
The current land model diagnostics package is an extension of the original
LMWG diagnostics package developed by Keith Oleson, which was in turn based extensively on the AMWG Diagnostics Package created by Mark Stevens. The diagnostics package consists of a c-shell script that provides job control over plotting programs written in the NCAR Command Language (NCL), Perl and the netcdf operators
The land model diagnostics package can be used to compare two
model simulations or compare a model simulation to observational data.
The diagnostics package produces postscript plots of long-term trends and seasonal means, in both regional, global,
and globally averaged formats from CLM monthly netcdf history files. The postscript files are converted to gif files and packaged in a web page for easy reference.
- Line plots of annual trends in global energy balance, soil water/ice and temperature, runoff, snow water/ice, photosynthesis
- Horizontal contour plots of DJF, MAM, JJA, SON, ANN means
- Line plots of monthly regional air temperature, precipitation, runoff, snow depth, radiative and turbulent fluxes
- Vertical profiles of atmospheric temperature and specific humidity
- Tables of annual means
- Line plots of annual trends in regional soil water/ice and temperature, runoff, snow water/ice, photosynthesis
- Line plots, tables, and maps of RTM river flow and discharge to oceans
- Line and contour plots of Land/Atmosphere/Ocean CO2 exchange
- Contour plots and statistics for precipitation, temperature, albedo, latent heat, gpp. Statistics include DJF, JJA, and ANN biases, and RMSE, correlation and standard deviation of the annual cycle relative to observations
- 2-m temperature and precipitation (Willmott and Matsuura, 2000)
- UNH-GRDC composite runoff fields (Fekete et al., 2000)
- RAOBS vertical profiles (T,Q)
- USAF/ETAC snow depth (Foster and Davy, 1988)
- CMC snow height and total snow water equivalent
- NOAA/AVHRR fractional snow cover
- MODIS albedo (2001-2003, courtesy of P.Lawrence)
- Continental freshwater discharge (Dai and Trenberth, 2002)
- FLUXNET-MTE latent heat, gpp
The land diagnostics package is internally accessible to CESM colleagues and collaborators on NCAR's CISL machines.
For more information see the Documentation
Land Diagnostics Web Pages