Family Members - Dependents

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age.

J1 dependent

  • J2 status;
  • May apply for work authorization in the U.S.;
  • No additional application fees for the dependents;
  • Are subject to the same rules as the J1 (including medical insurance, 2-year home rule, 24-month bar, etc.).

H-1B dependent

  • H4 status;
  • Cannot work in the U.S., unless obtains own work visa;
  • UCAR supports fees for H4 applications.

TN dependent

  • TD status;
  • Cannot work in the U.S. unless obtains own work visa.

Delays in Visa Processing

  • Security Clearances;
  • Technology Alert List;
  • Remember that a visa stamp is different from visa status. A stamp is only used for entry into the U.S. It can only be obtained abroad/cannot be obtained with the U.S.