F1 Student Visa
Visa status is sponsored and regulated by the school hosting the student or recent graduate.
- Students are already in the U.S. so no visa interview needed.
- School must approve work authorization (CPT, OPT, or Academic Training).
Important points for Labs/programs
- Students with F1 visas can start employment only if they have work authorization approved (OPT, CPT, J1 Academic Training).
- For OPT they need an employment authorization card. For CPT or Academic Training, an I-20 with approval in required.
- Most questions about travel, extensions of status, work auth., should be directed to school.