F1 Student Visa

Visa status is sponsored and regulated by the school hosting the student or recent graduate.


  • Students are already in the U.S. so no visa interview needed.
  • School must approve work authorization (CPT, OPT, or Academic Training).

Important points for Labs/programs

  • Students with F1 visas can start employment only if they have work authorization approved (OPT, CPT, J1 Academic Training).
  • For OPT they need an employment authorization card. For CPT or Academic Training, an I-20 with approval in required.
  • Most questions about travel, extensions of status, work auth., should be directed to school.