Permanent Residency - Green Card

Visas are temporary

  • H status up to six years and J1 Research Scholar up to five years maximum.

Next step to continue employment is Permanent Residency

  • Something to consider when hiring a foreign national.
  • A green card application may not always be successful.

UCAR Policy

  • If lab/program supports the process, employee must use UCAR’s immigration firm, Stern & Curray LLC (S&C).
  • If I-140 or Labor Certification is required, S&C also must be used (I-140 is filed by the employer, by law the employer must pay for the Labor Cert).
  • If self-petitioning a National Interest Waiver or Extraordinary Ability petition, does not need to use S&C.
  • If employee leaves UCAR within 1 year of the start of the process, they must reimburse the fees unless management waives.
  • UCAR may support applications based on marriage.


  • Lab/Program responsible for costs & decides if financial support is available on a case-by-case basis (does not have to be full amount).
  • Administrator confirms their support and Immigration Specialist prepares memo and authorization form.
  • Employee then contacts S&C.
  • The process generally takes 1-5 years.
  • The applicant must keep work authorization throughout the process.
  • Cost ranges from $10,000 - $13,000.
  • HR has kept policy flexible to allow for differences in labs/programs, funding, etc.
  • More information on our policy: