Dai and Trenberth Global River Flow and Continental Discharge Dataset
SOURCE and References:
- Dai, A., 2016: Historical and future changes in streamflow and continental runoff: A review.
Chapter 2 of Terrestrial Water Cycle and Climate Change: Natural and Human-Induced Impacts,
Geophysical Monograph 221, edited by Qiuhong Tang and Taikan Oki, AGU, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 17-37.
- Dai, A., T. Qian, K. E. Trenberth, and J. D Milliman, 2009: Changes in continental freshwater discharge from 1948-2004. J. Climate, 22, 2773-2791. [pdf]
- Dai, A., and K. E. Trenberth, 2002: Estimates of freshwater discharge from continents: Latitudinal and seasonal variations. J. Hydrometeorol., 3, 660-687. [pdf]
DATA DESCRIPTION: Time series of monthly river flow rates at the farthest downstream station for the world's largest 925 rivers, plus long-term river flow rates and continental discharge into the individual and global oceans.
PLEASE NOTE: For our own record, we would appreciate it very much if you could email Dr. A. Dai with a few lines to indicate your intended use of the data after you download. Thanks.
Files from Dai et. al (2009):
NOTE: The station annual flow rate "Vol" in coastal-stns-byVol-updated-oct2007.txt and "vol_stn" in coastal-stns-Vol-monthly.updated-oct2007.nc for Niger and other 19 U.S. rivers were in unit of m3/s, instead of km3/yr as stated in the files. This error was corrected on June 17, 2013. Other data were not affected by this error.
- coastal-stns-Vol-monthly.updated-Aug2014.nc : time series of monthly river flow from stations and station information, in netCDF format, updated in August 2014 as described in Dai (2016).
- coastal-stns-byVol-updated-oct2007.txt : long-term mean flow rates for the 925 rivers: m2s_ratio = river mouth to station ratio of flow rate times 10,000; lonm and latm are the longitude and latitude for the river mouth (same as station ln/lat for small rivers); area and vol = drainage area and long-term mean flow rate at the station; nyr, yrb, and yre are the number of years with data, record beginning and ending years, respectivly.
- coastal-stns-Vol-monthly.updated-oct2007.nc : time series of monthly river flow from stations and station information, in netCDF format
- coastal-stns-Vol-monthly.Constructed.wateryr-v2-updated-oct2007.nc : time series of observed and infilled monthly and annual flow, in netCDF
- readme-2d-monthly-discharge-timeSeries.f : FORTRAN codes to read the following two binary files
- annual-dis-waterYr1949-2004-2d-scaled-con.bin : 2-dim. annual coastal discharge from 1949-2004 for forcing OGCMs
- runoff2ocean-mon-fromStn-1deg-2d.bin : 2-dim. long-term monthly coastal discharge
Files from Dai and Trenberth (2002)
- runoff-table2-top50r: annual discharge for world's top 50 rivers (Table 2 of Dai and Trenberth 2002)
- runoff-table-A: annual discharge for world's top 51-200 river (Table A of Dai and Trenberth 2002)
- runoff-1deg-lat-ann: annual discharge for each 1deg lat zone
- runoff-1deg-smoothed-lat-ann : 5-deg-lat smoothed annual discharge
- runoff-5deg-lat-ann : annual discharge for each 5deg lat zone
- runoff-cumulative-1deg-lat-ann : cumulative annual discharge at 1deg resolution
- runoff-cumulative-5deg-lat-ann : cumulative annual discharge at 5deg resolution
- runoff2ocean-mon-Fekete : monthly discharge at 1 deg resolution, based on Fekete et al. (2000) runoff
- runoff2ocean-mon-fromStn-scaled : monthly discharge (3rd col.) at 1deg resolution based on 921-rivers. Un-monitored areas are accounted for as described in Dai & Trenberth (2000). Also included are drainage area (4th col.), cumulative discharge (5th col.) and cumulative drainage area (6th col.). The drainage areas are based on STN-30p river data base.
The following files are Fortran binary format created on a Sun workstation (withsequential access). The 2-dim. grids are 1x1 deg and 4 (lat) x 5 (lon) deg grids with box (1,1) is centered at (179.5W, 89.5S) for the 1deg grid and (177.5W, 88.0S) for the 4x5 grid. The values are discharge in Sv or 1E6 m3/s) within the coastal boxes (some boxes may be at the farthest downstream stations of small rivers and thus not right on the coasts in the 921 river case. These boxes need to be included in computing discharge from a lat zone). Each annual file (*ann.bin) contains one map of real runoff(360,180) for 1deg grid or runoff (72,45) for 4x5 grid. Each monthly file (*mon.bin) contains 12 maps or records. All files contain 2-d array(s) of real*4 numbers.
- runoff-2d-921River-1deg-ann.bin.gz : annual discharge on 1x1 grid for 921 R. case
- runoff-2d-921River-4x5-ann.bin : annual discharge on 4x5 grid for 921 R. case
- runoff-2d-921River-1deg-mon.bin.gz : monthly discharge on 1x1 grid for 921 R. case
- runoff-2d-921River-4x5-mon.bin : monthly discharge on 4x5 grid for 921 R. case
- runoff-2d-Fekete-1deg-ann.bin: annual discharge on 1x1 grid for Fekete case
- runoff-2d-Fekete-4x5-ann.bin: annual discharge on 4x5 grid for Fekete case
- runoff-2d-Fekete-1deg-mon.bin.gz: monthly discharge on 1x1 grid for Fekete case
- runoff-2d-Fekete-4x5-mon.bin: monthly discharge on 4x5 grid for Fekete case
- runoff-2d-NCEP-1deg-ann.bin : annual discharge on 1x1 grid for NCEP case
- runoff-2d-NCEP-4x5-ann.bin: annual discharge on 4x5 grid for NCEP case
- runoff-2d-ECMWF-1deg-ann.bin : annual discharge on 1x1 grid for ECMWF case
- runoff-2d-ECMWF-4x5-ann.bin : annual discharge on 4x5 grid for ECMWF case